AR-News: (CA) Does your food have a face? Then change the menu

WeArPetitions at aol.com WeArPetitions at aol.com
Tue Oct 7 10:25:01 EDT 2003

http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/news/stories/20031007/localnews/404495.html

By Kristi Martin

Looking for a diet to protect your health and preserve the environment? Well,
do I have the perfect diet for you.
According to the American Institute of Cancer Research, recent surveys show
that as many as 40 percent of teens are self-defined vegetarians. Many are
guided by vegetarian rock stars and movie stars, including Alicia Silverstone and
Drew Barrymore.
Many teens I have spoken with say they've considered a vegetarian lifestyle
but don't want to miss out on all the foods they love. But there are endless
no-meat Italian recipes and plenty of Mexican-food options, too.
What about our beloved fast food?
Take a closer look at the menus at Taco Bell, Burger King, In-N-Out and other
favorites. Beans can always replace meat. Soy, tofu and other substitutes
replace the meat in hamburgers, hot dogs, corn dogs and other foods.
"There is no food that can't be replaced by another," says lactation
consultant and clinical dietitian Vicki Nizen.
Some believe they have to have lots of protein from meat, but according to
Vegetarian Times Magazine, a 16-year-old who weighs 120 pounds needs just 48
grams of protein a day. Athletic teens need slightly more but shouldn't choose a
high-protein diet, says registered dietitian Reed Mangels.
Consuming more protein will not automatically add muscle.
Need another reason to become a vegetarian? You'll save lives -- a total of
83 animal lives in a single year.
In the 21/2 years I've been a vegetarian, I've saved the lives of 208
animals.
This diet takes a lot of will power and determination. But I strongly
recommend it.
Kristi Martin is a senior at Mt. Whitney High School.
 Email this story
Originally published Tuesday, October 7, 2003