AR-News: Born to be Wild Monkey Art Exhibit

סמדר rumsiki at netvision.net.il
Sat Sep 27 19:32:52 EDT 2003

From: primfocus at waste.org
Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2003 5:13 PM

PRESS RELEASE: Born to be Wild Monkey Art Exhibit at the Peggy Notebaert Natural History Museum in Lincoln Park, Chicago. Kari Bagnall, Jungle Friends Primate Sanctuary founder, will be in Chicago September 29 - October 6, 2003 promoting the Jungle Friends "Born to be Wild" art exhibit:

ARTWORK OF A PRIMATE PERSUASION

GAINESVILLE, FLORIDA –Do not expect the works of famous European artists when visiting the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum in Chicago. There will not be names like Monet or Picasso attached to the artwork at the Born to Be Wild art exhibit but instead names such as Rita, Buddie and Cuddly-some of the featured artists at this exhibit come from the wild places of the world. Monkey artists are finally stepping up and challenging abstract artists by selling their artwork to humans. This should come as no surprise due to their genetic similarities to humans. After all, they are only separated by a single chromosome.

The Gainesville-based Jungle Friends Primate Sanctuary and Rehabilitation is presenting the Born to be Wild art exhibit featuring paintings done by the monkeys in their care. The free exhibit can be found in Chicago at the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum, 2430 N. Cannon Drive. It will take place Sept. 25, 2003, through Jan. 4, 2004.

The art exhibit is in conjunction with Jane Goodall’s lecture series on the continuing exploration of the chimpanzees of the Gombe Stream Reserve. Dr. Goodall has studied chimpanzees in their own environment for more than 40 years, chimpanzees are the closest living relative to humans.

For a minimum donation of at least $20, visitors will receive artwork from one of the featured artists: Samantha, Jimmy Sr., Buddie, Rita, Cuddly and Joni, who are in the care of Jungle Friends Primate Sanctuary.

“We’re very excited about the exhibit because all proceeds are going to our Born to be Wild project to release ex-pet monkeys into the wild, which is their natural habitat and birthright,” said Bagnall.

The Jungle Friends program is designed to rehabilitate and socialize primates with their own species. The primates in their care are successfully interacting with members of their own kind, many of which were once species isolated, neglected or abused.

For more information, contact Kari Bagnall at (386) 462-7779, by e-mail at kari at junglefriends.org or visit the Web site at http://www.junglefriends.org/index/shtml

I will also be bringing beta tapes of our Public Service Announcement and would like to drop one by if you are interested. My cell phone is (352) 256-6437 and I will be staying at the Days Inn Lincoln Park North (773) 525-7010, under Kari Bagnall

Kari Bagnall, Director

kari at junglefriends.org

www.junglefriends.org

Jungle Friends Primate Sanctuary

13915 North State Road #121

Gainesville, FL 32653

(386) 462-7779 Main Office

(386) 418-0808 Volunteer Center

(386) 418-0106 Caregiver's Quarters

(386) 418-0070 On-Site clinic

(386) 462-7780 Fax (must confirm prior to sending)