AR-News: Food Fears

jim robertson wolfcrest at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 25 18:17:45 EDT 2003

Food Fears
The threat of agricultural terrorism spurs calls for more vigilance
By Daniel G. Dupont

CATTLE CONCERN: A terrorist attack with foot-and-mouth disease would
devastate the U.S. beef industry.
Earlier this year the discovery of a single cow with bovine spongiform
encephalopathy, better known as mad cow disease, crippled the Canadian
cattle market. In 2002 the mere rumor of foot-and-mouth disease in Kansas
sent shock waves through the American cattle industry. And the discovery of
exotic Newcastle disease in southern California led to the destruction of
millions of chickens and prompted many countries to ban poultry coming from
the area--and, in some cases, from the entire U.S.

full story:
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa004&articleID=000D7192-62D3-1F6A-905980A84189EEDF

Our task must be to free ourselves... by widening our circle of compassion
to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty.
-- Albert Einstein