AR-News: (US) DuPont donates land adjacent to Okefenokee

Ronda Roaring rondaroaring at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 2 17:53:27 EDT 2003

DuPont Donates Land Adjacent to National Wildlife
Refuge to Conservation Fund

Chemical and mining company DuPont has announced the
donation of sixteen thousand acres of land adjacent to
the Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge in southeast
Georgia to the Conservation Fund in Arlington,
Virginia.

DuPont acquired the property in the 1990s for its
titanium ore, but public concerns about a mining
project on the land prompted the company to suspend
the plans. To better examine its options, DuPont
assembled a group of local community officials;
leaders of nongovernmental organizations; landowners;
Native Americans; and representatives of companies
involved in the area's mining, tourism, and wood fiber
interests. The group recommended that the land should
not be mined. As part of the agreement with the
Conservation Fund, International Paper, which
currently holds the land's wood fiber and recreational
rights, said it would permanently relinquish
acquisition rights to prevent mining of the property
in the future. The paper company will continue to
maintain a working forest on the property in a manner
that ensures biodiversity and maintains recreational
opportunities.

"We believe that our donation of DuPont land in and
near Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge is a concrete
example of 'walking the talk' with regard to our
company's commitment to sustainable growth and social
responsibility," said DuPont chairman and CEO Charles
O. Holliday, Jr. "The refuge is an ecological
treasure. Through the good work of our partner, the
Conservation Fund, we are confident that the land we
are donating will be properly and permanently
protected. We are also grateful to all the
stakeholders who participated in the collaborative
process that helped us reach this very positive
outcome."

“DuPont Donates 16,000 Acres to The Conservation Fund,
Georgia Tract Borders Okefenokee Natonial Wildlife
Refuge.” DuPont Press Release 8/27/03.