AR-News: (US) (WI) letter: Fishing isn't idyllic; it's painful, cruel

MEATSTINKS at aol.com MEATSTINKS at aol.com
Wed Aug 20 20:42:53 EDT 2003

Fond Du Lac, Wi Post-Crescent
Letters: Fishing isn’t idyllic; it’s painful, cruel
<A HREF="http://www.wisinfo.com/thereporter/news/archive/opinion_11820148.shtml">Post-Crescent - Fishing isn’t idyllic; it’s painful, cruel</A>
<A HREF="http://www.wisinfo.com/thereporter/news/archive/opinion_11820148.shtml">http://www.wisinfo.com/thereporter/news/archive/opinion_11820148.shtml</A>

It’s hard to believe that only 140 years ago Americans kept slaves, and 85
years ago women weren’t allowed to vote. It’s easy to look back at the
prejudices of our grandfathers and shake our heads in disbelief. It is much more
difficult to distance ourselves from our own prejudices.

Michelle Malkin’s column about teaching her toddler to fish (“Anti-fishing
activists back a badly-flawed premise”) called the experience wholesome and
idyllic. But I suspect her daughter may one day put down her fishing pole and get
hooked on compassion instead.

Most likely her grandchildren will look back and shake their heads.

The scientific evidence is in, and fish do indeed feel pain (see
www.fishinghurts.com).

Rather than encouraging bloodsports, why not instead teach children to
respect animals?

Just because fish are different from us is no reason to torture and kill
them. Can’t we find non-violent ways to amuse ourselves? Extending the Golden Rule
and the Sixth Commandment to include animals will make us better human
beings.

stewart david

Asheville, N.C.