AR-News: Capital Times letter on PETA's Holocaust on your Plate campaign

Karen Dawn KarenDawn at DawnWatch.com
Thu Aug 7 12:45:43 EDT 2003

Capital Times (Madison, WI)
August 6, 2003 Wednesday, ALL Editions
 EDITORIAL; Pg. 9A

 PETA'S POINT A VALID ONE

 Liz Welsh Cottage Grove

Dear Editor: I agree that the concept of PETA's "Holocaust on Your Plate"
project is hard to swallow -- that the animals we eat value their lives and
hope for release as deeply as the victims of the Holocaust did -- but how
can we deny it? PETA's parallel is a valid way to draw attention to the
scientific fact that although pigs, chickens and cows may be different from
us, their capacity to suffer is identical.

As humans, we are supposed to have an "expanded ethic." Why not use that to
take a stand against all forms of torment, rather than pick and choose who
we have time to care about?