AR-News: (US) Chicken rescue probed - Air gun used by cop to burst balloons

Animalconcerns Info info at
Thu Aug 7 14:21:12 EDT 2003

San Francisco -- A San Francisco police lieutenant who used an air pistol
to pop balloons that kept a chicken stuck in power lines is being
investigated for possibly breaking department rules by firing a
nonregulation weapon.

Lt. Mark Swendsen thought he was a hero June 21 for using his Daisy Model
777 pistol to save the Rhode Island Red hen that a prankster -- apparently
copying a stunt promoting a TV show -- had sent aloft with 100 helium

"I was doing my job," he said Wednesday. "I was trying to save the
chicken, and I was trying to prevent other people from being hurt."

Now, he said, he feels like the target of a "bizarre inquisition" by the
The chicken, dubbed Amelia by animal welfare workers, was adopted by a
Concord woman in June.

full story:

Your Portal to More News Headlines, AR-News on the Web, Events, E-Mail
Lists, Jobs, and Organizations! Try searching for the news item on

This mail sent through IMP: