AR-News: (NZ) Ostrich venture grounded

Animalconcerns Info info at animalconcerns.org
Wed Aug 6 23:54:37 EDT 2003

New Zealand's second-biggest ostrich farm, Eggmont Ostriches at Oakura,
has shut down, with owners Keith and Dell Harvey frustrated at never
really being able to get the business firing properly, despite seven years
of trying.
"But we only had one good year when BSE (bovine spongiform encephalopathy
– or mad cow disease) broke out in Europe and everyone started buying
ostrich and venison instead of beef. But when that outbreak subsided
everyone went back to buying cheaper meat again and our markets virtually
dried up."

Your Portal to More News Headlines, AR-News on the Web, Events, E-Mail
Lists, Jobs, and Organizations! Try searching for the news item on
Animalconcerns! http://www.animalconcerns.org/