AR-News: [U.S.] Alert: More info. re: hypocrite Bill Lishman and Union County, NJ

Sinikka Crosland tracs at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 11 22:06:45 EDT 2003

Additional information subsequent to my previous post about Bill Lishman and the gassing of geese in Union Country, New Jersey:

Please write to legislators in Union County re: Canada goose slaughter:  info at ucnj.org .  Contact:

County Manager George W. Devanney; Deputy County Manager M. Elizabeth Genievich, R.M.C., M.P.A. Phone # for both--(908)527-4200; Fax # (908)289-0180.

Bill Lishman's e-mail address is:  william at williamlishman.com  .  He deals with Bullfrog Films:  info at bullfrogfilms.com .

Please see second article below (Lishman's wife, Paula, is heavily involved with the Fur Council of Canada).  It would be worthwhile to let Lishman and his wife know that geese are not "flying vermin".  Lishman should be thoroughly ashamed of his hypocritical stance.  Now that he has made his money on geese, he is in favour of persecuting them!

_____________________________________

Animal lovers conflicted over gassing of Canada geese in New Jersey county

Mike Oliveira
Canadian Press

Wednesday, July 09, 2003

(CP) - Animal activists are fuming over the recent decision to gas scores of Canada geese in a New Jersey county but a noted Canadian bird lover says he's not against killing some of the birds, which have been likened to flying vermin.

The troublesome geese had caused hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage in Union County, littering parks with patches of their droppings, and eating grassy areas and hills bare.
Park officials corralled about 700 of the geese last week into a pickup truck that was setup to asphyxiate the birds. Carbon dioxide was pumped into the makeshift gas chamber, providing the most humane execution the county was able to find.

The situation isn't unique to the county and happens quite often around the world, said Gregg Feigelson of the Coalition to Prevent the Destruction of Canada Geese, based out of Pearl River, N.Y.

The federal U.S. government is working on an official plan to deal with the birds and in England, around 10,000 geese are living within kilometres of the Heathrow airport, and are being shot to prevent a major aviation disaster from occurring.

"It's always pretty much the same story, usually the claims of the geese being a problem are grossly exaggerated and there's some classic misinformation that's always associated with this controversy," he said.

"Alternatives exist, so why are there people so quick to jump to the most brutal, most uncivilized solution that they can think of, which is destruction."

But Bill Lishman - who had his story told in Fly Away Home, a movie about his teaching Canada geese how to migrate south - said that in some cases, a humane death may be the best way to deal with the overpopulated birds some have called "sky carp or flying rats."

"We've got to play some kind of role in limiting their numbers but there isn't a polite way of doing it. There's no answer that everyone's going to be happy with," Lishman said in a telephone interview from Blackstock, Ont. "But I don't have any problems with humanely killing them off."

County officials said they didn't want to resort to the gas, but called it a "final measure," after years of trying to drive the geese out of the already crowded area. Union County is among the most densely-populated counties in New Jersey, which is the most densely-populated state in the country, said John Salerno, director of public information for the county.

"Parkland is very important when you have 500,000 people living in only 100 square miles," Salerno said. "Unfortunately many of our parks had experienced a population explosion of Canada geese."

Salerno said health concerns also arose after taking water samples from lakes.

"We'd seen elevated levels of fecal coliform and a human pathogen was found in the feces of geese, so it was a great concern," he said. "And we had hundreds of complaints a year from park users saying, 'My kid came home and had goose droppings all over his hands or shoes' and, 'I used to be able to walk here and now I can't."'

But Feigelson said the claims of health concerns are unfounded and not based on thorough research.

"There is no scientific data to suggest Canada geese are even remotely a public health issue. Certainly not enough to justify killing."'

Salerno said several goose-management techniques were used to try and shoo them away but none worked. Dogs chased the birds, remote-controlled boats were used to harass geese on the water, grass was sprayed with chemicals to make it unpalatable, and breeding patterns were disrupted. The problem wouldn't go away and a permit was obtained to euthanize the geese.

Salerno said he understands why people are upset about the gassing, given that he too had a hard time with the decision.

"Personally, I'm a bird watcher and I spend my weekends in our parks," he said. "It was very difficult, no one who works for our parks department (wants) to do this kind of stuff."

Lishman said there's one way to make sense of all the killing but it's usually shrugged off quickly without any real debate.

He said he wishes more people would open up to the idea of using goose meat to feed the hungry but said health regulations probably stop it from happening.

"I eat Canada goose at Christmas and it's delicious," he said. "It's a dark meat, and if you cook it right, it's very good."

____________________________

william at williamlishman.com

FUR COUNCIL OF CANADA PRESS RELEASE, JUNE 28, 2000

Paula Lishman Named Canadian Fur Personality of the Year
Receives Maurice Memorial Award

      Paula is a pioneer of knitted wool, in this case beaver exhibited at the North American Fur & Fashion Exposition 2000. Photo: T. Platt, FCUSA.
     Montreal: For the year 2000, the Fur Council of Canada presented the Maurice Memorial Award to Paula Lishman. The award, which was first presented in 1957, recognizes outstanding contributions to the betterment of the Canadian fur trade. Lishman is the first woman to receive the award. It was presented by Tom Nacos, Chairman of the Fur Council of Canada, during the Montreal NAFFEM 2000 Gala Evening.

      Born in Montreal and raised in Labrador, Paula Lishman likes to tell the story of how she couldn't find any clothes that fit her tall stature when she was a teenager, and so she started designing her own. She didn't know it then, but this was the beginning of one of the most remarkable careers as a fur creator and design pioneer.

      Her company, Paula Lishman International, is now based in the rural community of Blackstock, Ontario, and employs as many as 100 local women in production. Her husband, Bill Lishman is considered a hero in the environmental movement for his work with migrating birds, as shown in feature films like "Fly Away Home". "I guess we're Father Goose and Mother Beaver", chuckles Ms. Lishman.

      Recognized for her notable work in creating unique fur garments, Lishman once felt like the black sheep of her industry, "Furriers thought I was crazy to be ripping up perfectly good fur into strips for my knitting". Today, twenty years later, Paula Lishman exports to markets around the world; a standing ovation from the crowd at the Montreal NAFFEM Gala showed how far she has come since those first days in the fur business.

      Lishman, who is also First Vice-President of the FCC board, is a strong advocate of the environmental virtues of the fur trade which she speaks out about articulately with consumers and media in her many travels around the globe. She is best known for having created and popularized the knitted fur technique, which is now widely applied by many fur manufacturing companies everywhere. "Paula Lishman has added many new dimensions to fur designing and manufacturing, she is a true ambassador of the fur trade", says Alan Herscovici, Executive Vice-President of the FCC.

For more information contact: Teresa Éloy, Communications Director, Fur Council of Canada, 1435 St. Alexandre, Suite 1270, Montreal, Quebec H3A 2G4; 1-800-376-9996 or (514) 844-1945; (514) 844-8593/fax; canfur at generation.net

---