AR-News:Meat and Cheese Addictive

Pat Wolff wolffnm at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 24 08:57:21 EDT 2003

June 23, 2003
Dailytelegraph.news.com.au

Research puts meat on addictive list

Some foods have been found to release morphine-like
opiate compounds during digestion, according to
researchers.

Cheese and meat have been added to the list of
addictive foods such as coffee, chocolate and sugar,
new research shows.

Some foods have been found to release morphine-like
opiate compounds during digestion, according to
researchers.

Nutritionist Dr Neal Barnard said the biological
composition of some foods caused people to become
addicted against their will. "It`s not gluttony, weak
will, or an oral personality that keep some of us tied
to certain foods," Dr Barnard said.

"There`s a biological reason many of us feel we can`t
live without our daily meat, cheese or sugar fix."

Dr David Cameron-Smith, of Melbourne`s Deakin
University, said food addictions were more commonly
related to emotional eating than the biological
composition of food.

He said overweight or obese people were more at risk
of addiction.

"There is no doubt a lot of people who are overweight
develop very restrictive eating patterns that are
built around their emotional state," Dr Cameron-Smith
said.

"Emotional eating is very common and does contribute
to overweight and obesity."

Dr Barnard discovered the addictive properties of
cheese when research uncovered people moving to a
vegetarian diet had a harder time giving up cheese
than any other food.

Research was conducted through the Physicians
Committee for Responsible Medicine for which Dr
Barnard is president.

About 70 per cent of the population experience a food
craving episode.

Experiments, such as one published in nutrition
journal Appetite in 1999, show many foods produce
cravings based on an emotional response.

"It is very common for human beings to experience
cravings," Dr Cameron-Smith said. "Food cravings are
normal for people, it`s just how we respond to it that
is important.

"All food is addictive, we have to eat and we gain a
lot of pleasure from eating."

Source: Dailytelegraph.news.com.au