1 in 3 Young Children at Diabetes Risk

Andrew Gach unclewolf at olypen.com
Sun Jun 15 12:19:03 EDT 2003

"I think the 39-cent hamburger is the real weapon of mass destruction," Dr.
Bill Releford of the Diabetes Amputation Prevention Foundation told CBS
News.

One out of every three children born in 2000 is on the road to getting
diabetes unless they start changing their eating and exercise habits, a
government scientist warned Saturday.

The Associated Press reports that the stark warning is nearly three times
higher than the estimates issued by the American Diabetes Association (ADA).

Dr. K.M. Venkat Narayan, an epidemiologist with the Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention made what he called his "conservative" prediction
Saturday at an ADA meeting in New Orleans.

The number of diagnosed cases of diabetes rose by half in the last 10 years,
and is expected to go up even more, according to the AP.

"I think the fact that the diabetes epidemic has been raging has been well
known to us for several years," the AP quotes Narayan as saying. "But
looking at the risk in these terms was very shocking to us."

Diabetes, especially type 2 diabetes, can be prevented by exercising more
and eating less. "I think the 39-cent hamburger is the real weapon of mass
destruction," Dr. Bill Releford of the Diabetes Amputation Prevention
Foundation told CBS News.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=97&ncid=97&e=3&u=/hsn/200306
15/hl_hsn/healthhighlightsjunenbsp15nbsp2003