(OH - US) Pet-shop puppies might lack credentials

Snugglezzz at aol.com Snugglezzz at aol.com
Wed May 28 20:28:32 EDT 2003

Life News

Pet-shop puppies might lack credentials
05/28/03

My friend learned the hard way. Beware of pet-shop puppies if you compete in
American Kennel Club obedience or agility trials.
Several of my friend's dogs have earned advanced AKC obedience titles.
However, a pet-shop puppy might not be eligible for AKC registration.

>    >    >
When my friend went to a pet shop recently to buy dog food, she fell in love
with a puppy of the same breed that she shows in obedience trials. When the
pup was still at the shop one month later, she bought him.
She assumed the pup was eligible for AKC registration. The clerk said she
would receive the pup's registration in a month to 90 days. She should have
received the litter registration form at the time she took possession of the dog.
A few days later, my friend realized the dog's pedigree stated that his
parents were registered with America's Pet Registry.
To be eligible for AKC registration, a dog's parents must be AKC-registered.
When AKC began requiring DNA testing as proof of lineage of dogs that have
sired more than three litters in a year or seven litters in a lifetime, many
puppy millers and puppy distributors started their own registries rather than
comply with the AKC rule. There are more than 15 canine regis tries.
Many of these regis tries offer nothing more than a slip of pa per saying
that the dog is registered. Some even encourage giving "breed" names to
mixed-breed puppies as a ploy for selling them at higher prices, to buyers who think
"registered" is more valuable than a mixed breed.
My friend will never be able to contact the breeder if she has questions
about the dog's heritage or genetic problems. The breeder's address at America's
Pet Registry is kept secret from the purchaser. In the case of an AKC dog, the
breeder, who is also the seller, often becomes a mentor and friend for life.
However, purebred dogs that are not eligible for AKC registration may compete
in AKC obedience, agility and other performance events if they have an
Indefinite Listing Privilege, more commonly known as ILP. AKC does not permit ILP
dogs to be shown in conformation, a competition based on the dog's resemblance
to its breed standard.
To obtain an ILP, the dog must be a breed that is recognized by AKC. The
owner is required to send two color photos of the dog to the AKC along with a
completed application form and proof from a veterinarian that the dog has been
spayed or neutered. Cost is $25.
AKC's requirement for spaying or neutering prevents owners from continuing a
line of unregisterable dogs.
Conformation competition is not an issue here because anyone who is looking
for a dog to compete in AKC shows would not consider a pet shop as a source.
Puppy-mill puppies, which supply pet shops, are cranked out as rapidly as
possible to meet demand. No consideration is given to carefully selecting a dam and
sire so that the offspring will resemble, as closely as possible, the breed's
standard of perfection.
Nor is it likely that any puppy-mill dams and sires are tested for genetic
diseases, such as hip dysplasia or progressive retinal atrophy, which should
eliminate them from a breeding program. Responsible breeders do test, and this
should be an issue for any buyer whether the interest is in pet, show or
performance events.
Two things have resulted from my friend's experience. She will give the puppy
a good, permanent home for life. And she is wiser about pet shops.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:
shively at plaind.com, 216-999-4554